The Missions Committee would like to express our immense gratitude for your overwhelming support of the May Donations Project. Your generosity in giving items and cash donations is greatly appreciated by all four groups being helped. It was heartwarming to hear what one project leader said in a simple and touching way-“Please tell your church thank you for caring.”
The last day to drop off items will be as planned, this Sunday, May 31, from 1:00-2:00. Moving forward, once we are meeting in the church building we may make this an ongoing project. More information will be passed on at that time.
RPC Missions Committee
Beloved of Christ,
The Session remains in prayer for all of you in this strange time. We are aware that many of you have questions and concerns. This email will hopefully address many of those. In what will be shared, I (Pastor Evan) know there will be many thoughts and feelings across the board. Please know every decision has been made after considerable prayer, lots of reading and researching, and thoughtful discussion by the Session.
Rev. Ted Churn, Executive Presbyter of New Hope, sent a letter to all churches. In the letter, the presbytery recommends for all churches to remain physically closed for the remainder of May and the month of June. The letter also recommended that each session in this time create and implement a plan for safe reopening. I (Pastor Evan) agree with the recommendations and explained to the session that I felt completely uncomfortable to reopen until we examine all of our practices and procedures. Truthfully until there is an medically accepted cure and/or vaccine, any and all public gatherings will be a risk. However, there are steps we can take to mitigate and lessen those risks.
The Session of Roxboro Presbyterian met in a stated meeting last night (May 19) and desires to keep the church apprised of what we are doing and decisions being made. The basics of those follow:
1) The physical church building will be closed according to Presbytery recommendations (May - June). This decision will be revisited at the June Session meeting on June 16. We are aware that the situation can and does change rapidly. If possible to alter the date earlier, the Session will certainly do so. If the situation changes negatively, the dates may be extended. What is offered is a tentative schedule. Any changes will be communicated to the church. One member of Session made the wise comment, "We will not hurt anyone by moving too slowly. We certainly can hurt people by moving too quickly."
2) All online offerings (daily devotions and worship) will continue. The church has the capability to set up Zoom meetings for Sunday School classes, Presbyterian Women, and any other groups that may desire. Pastor Evan will be available to train anyone who feels uncomfortable.
3) The Session is examining options to keep those without computers as connected as possible. Hard copies of the worship services are being delivered each week by Beth Miller. If you would like one, please email the church. If you know of someone who would like to receive them and cannot email, please email the church on their behalf.
4) The Session established a sub-committee consisting of Property Chair, Sam Wilson, Worship Chair, Kjersti Lockhart, and Pastor Evan Walker to establish a plan for reopening and how to make it as safe as possible for all who come. That plan will be developed over the next couple of weeks and shared with the session by the beginning of June for further input, clarification, and alterations as needed. Once officially approved, the plan will be shared with the congregation.
5) I (Pastor Evan) continually stay in prayer and try to read as much as possible and share those articles with the session members. The session asks that the church pray for its leaders. We are making the best decisions we can with the best information as possible and also ask for your patience and understanding.
The Session is aware that many members will not like this plan for it either being too slow or too fast, we ask for your patience. When the plan for reopening is released, many of you will think the guidelines are strict while others will think they are not enough. The church universal and particularly Roxboro Presbyterian has a unique opportunity to model humility, patience, and love. This will not divide us or destroy us. We all seek to glorify God, to love each other, and to share the love of Jesus Christ within our community.
Paul urges the church in Ephesus: " I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all" (Ephesians 4:1-6).
May the Spirit of God guide, protect, and nurture each of us.
To the glory of God,
Rev. Evan Walker
The Mission Committee would like to thank all of you that have contributed so far. If you have not had a chance, we would like to invite you to partner in the donations project. There are some immediate and ongoing needs in our community and beyond that we may easily be able to help with, as many of us staying home have been doing some long overdue cleaning and organizing. Listed below are four groups/projects in need of donations, with specific items needed, and a schedule of when and where to drop off any items you would like to donate.
RPC Mission Committee
*If you have any questions, please contact Jane Forton by email, phone or text.
The session has been in discussion and is prayerfully considering how the church will re-open as we enter Phase I. We hope you have been able to enjoy the morning devotions and Sunday worship services that are being streamed live. Stay safe and healthy!
The Health Department and Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) Agency have cancelled this event. We will let you know if it is rescheduled.
All WW Meetings held at Roxboro Presbyterian Church have been cancelled until further notice.
Has been cancelled until further notice. Please stay healthy!
There are so many opportunities for you to serve in RPC’s mission projects! Please check any or all of the following that you feel called to participate in. Jane Forton, chairman of the Missions committee, will contact you to give you more details and answer any questions you may have.
Best Way to Contact: ________________________________
___ Serve on the Missions Committee (involves meeting twice a year to evaluate current projects and discuss new ones)
___Help with Christian Help Center lunches (involves any or all of the following: helping serve the meal the first Wed. of
every other month beginning in Feb., preparing food, donating cash to help purchase food)
___Coordinate “Fill the Bag” (involves letting people know what’s needed, preparing bags to be filled, and taking items
collected to the Christian Help Center)
___Coordinate “Pennies for Hunger (involves preparing containers, usually tennis ball cans, passing them out, and getting
collections to receiving treasurer)
___ Help with the Joy Gift (involves coordinating with the Presbyterian Women to let people know about this project”)
___Help with Trunk-or-Treat (involves any or all of the following: preparing &/or serving dinner, running games, donating
___Help with the Interfaith Outreach Ministry activities (involves helping with any or all of the following: Easter Egg Hunt,
Vacation Bible School, Outdoor Game Day, Movie Night)
Dinner @ 5:30pm Program @ 6:30 pm
Please join us for our Wednesday Night Supper on March 11th! The meal begins at 5:30.
We have invited Doug Mabe from BASICs to come speak.
The menu will be Meat Loaf, Macaroni & Cheese, Fruit, and Dessert.
Please complete the reservation form below so we can ensure we plan enough food for everyone. You may also contact Diana Jeffries at 336-504-1464 or the church office at email@example.com to let them know your family is coming.
Cancelled 'til further notice:
9:15 Coffee and Fellowship
9:45 Sunday School
10:45 Choir Practice
5:00 Youth Group